Student Checking and Savings
Campus life. Whether you're paying bills for the first time or balancing a career with college, university presents a unique set of budgeting challenges.
- Never used a checking account? Our accounts don't nickel-and-dime you (we're not-for-profit).
- Paying bills for the first time? We have tips for that.
- Need student loans? We have those, too.
About BECU Checking & Savings1
All BECU Checking and Savings accounts are free. Key features include:
5 Steps to Creating Your First College Budget
New to college? New to budgeting? Learn where to start with these 5 easy steps to help you track your spending, set goals, build good habits, and find ways to save.
8 Ways to Save: College Edition
College is full of life lessons. And a lot of them, like learning to save money, happen outside the classroom. Saving on a college budget isn't always easy, but it is possible with a little bit of planning.
- Local discounts including Wild Waves, Mariners, Bite of Seattle, ZooTunes, and more
- Free membership to a discount platform powered by Passport, helping you access savings on dining, shopping and traveling5
- Free checking with no minimum balance and no maintenance fees
- Free financial reviews (financial health checks) to help you navigate your college expenses
- Free financial education seminars and webinars on anything from building credit to buying your first house or paying down debt (like student loans)
1 Member Share, Member Advantage, or Early Saver savings account required to establish membership; not everyone will qualify.
2 Checking and Member Advantage checking accounts require establishing membership by opening a Member Share, Member Advantage, or Early Saver saving account; not everyone will qualify.
3 Once your Member Advantage account is open, you must continue to meet qualifications. To meet the transaction requirements you must maintain active Member Advantage savings and checking accounts, and complete one qualifying transaction each month using one of the following: Debit Mastercard, make purchases online, over the phone, and in person; Online, Mobile, or Telephone Banking, make BECU loan or Visa payments, or transfer funds between BECU accounts; Bill Payment, pay utilities, credit cards, businesses, or individuals; Direct Deposit, receive a recurring monthly direct deposit from your paycheck or other monthly income into your BECU checking account. Limit one Member Advantage checking and savings account per person. Member Advantage eligibility and benefits are subject to change.
4 Refund of out-of-network ATM fees charged by another financial institution on ATM withdrawals from a Member Advantage savings, Member Advantage checking, or Member Advantage money market account. Refund will be made in to the Member Advantage account of withdrawal. Account must be open and still considered Member Advantage at time of refund. Refunds processed daily and may take up to three days due to cut-off and posting times. If you share your Member Advantage account with another person, your maximum fee reimbursement will still be $6.
5 Members that wish to upgrade their Passport membership can do so by clicking on one of the dining options. A message appears with registration instructions. The dining upgrade will cost $7 per month, or you can pay $75 for a 12-month subscription. BECU does not endorse nor accept liability for Passport Unlimited or the use of Passport's merchants, products or services listed on Passport's website.